He turns all of his injuries into strenghts, that which does not kill him makes him stronger, he is superman.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Doomed Planet Krypton. The rocket. A child. Journey across cold space. Earth. Smallville. Crash landing. The Kents. Learns TRUTH, JUSTICE and THE AMERICAN WAY. Faster than a Speeding Bullet. Stronger than a Locomotive. A man can fly. Believe.
- Joe Kelly, Action Comics

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"
Presently I got more crazy crap going on in my life than any comic book reading geek living in his grandma's guest room has a right to... And yet, the only thing I've got bouncing around my brainpan right now is Smallville.

I was chugging along fine there for a stretch, watching Venture Bros. for three to four hours everyday while plotting out the clearest and most succinct Marvel Comics pitch that's ever drifted into my swiss cheese structured mind from the Immateria beyond and generally having a good time of it. It's tentatively titled "Sandman: Grim and Gritty" and it's got everything I'm passionate about... wacky prison antics, deep psychological scares, abandoned bowling alleys in New Jersey, green chicks getting put through their paces, Hobie Brown up to his elbows in sand, and a relatively overlooked Spider-Man villain going totally sickhouse on the Frightful Four, Brock Sampson style, baby!!!

I was focused... I was ready to take on the world... Then I popped that Smallville tape in the VCR and totally lost it.

Let me explain something to you: I've given up on love... but I love this show, people. I love this show, I love this season, and I can't begin to tell you why. We're talking about a season that's featured an influx of former Angel writers, the loss of the only black cast member to the inclusion of Jenn's psycho boyfriend from Dawson's Creek, and a body-swap episode... a fucking hackneyed, played-out body-swap episode for petesake! But I've watched this thing three times now, and it seems pretty good to me. Hell, I watch it and I think Tom Welling can almost kind of act, but John Glover is truly the star of that particular show... The episode with Mxyzptlk featured the best use of super-speed I've seen in this show, like ever, and this was three episodes after the Flash popped by.

And let me tell you something else: You haven't lived or truly laughed your ass off until you've seen a message board debate between Clana and Clois shippers. And as funny and ridiculous as it might seem, there's a way of looking at the world that reveals that the Clana/Clois feud lies at the heart of the meaning of life. Think about it... Clark loves Lana now and can't stand Lois, but he's destined to end up with Lois, right? That means that Clana shippers support a deep and meaningful relationship in the present that's doomed to failure while Clois shippers support an abrasive give and take relationship that will one day grow into the greatest love affair of popular culture since Juliet poked her sternum. Do we live in the here and now or do we fight on for the future? When do we exist in time? Who are we as a people? Where are we going?

What do you mean I'm thinking about this too much? Of course I'm thinking about this too much! That's the point! I'm fucking hooked to this show, people! I can't sleep for anticipation of tomorrow's spanking new episode.It's a good thing I still haven't lost those vanity pounds, because otherwise my body couldn't contain my excitement...

Somebody saaaaaaaave me!

Comments

Popular Posts