am i waiting for
the uncovering
of simple paths
between the branches
flowering chance
fence slats rattling
fingers pushing through
slowly brushing past
a fast glimpse of you

- Jeff Tweedy, "Chinese Apple"

"April is the Cruelest Month"
I just remembered why I hate spring:
1) It's hot and I'm a dirty, sweaty man.
2) Dogwood trees smell like ass.
3) I always have girl problems in spring.
4) By this point, I'm tired of going to class.
5) I'm not the type of person who lays out in the sun and has a good time on the quad with my friends.
6) By spring, I've worked my way into massive debt I have to work off in the summer.
7) It's all coming to an end.

"Words Fail Me"
I haven't written a worthwhile sentence in about a week. I haven't even worked on Scenes from the Next, which is filled with many an unworthy sentence or paragraph.

I just don't feel like writing. And I'm having another one of those periods in which I realize I'm never going to be Kevin Smith. I had moments like these all the time in high school, but I eventually got over it. Wonder why it's flared up again...

"Another Petty 'Clark Hates People' Rant"
I know I've bitched about this before -- and it isn't that big of a deal in a time of big deals -- but what is the deal with people and celebrities? Why do we say we like people we've never met as people? Why can't a go to -- or watch on DVD -- someone come to a college to talk to students without people in the audience screaming random, stupid shit to either prove they love who ever they paid to see, or -- even worse -- "help" them be funny.

"A Last Word on Ed"
The season (and possible series) finale of Ed aired on Tuesday.

I enjoyed the episode.

Whether or not the show "jumped the shark" as they say is debatable as far as I'm concerned... and I'm not sure it will really matter.

If that was the last Ed ever, as I suspect it was, then it was a great ending.

And that's all I have to say about that.

"A Horse By Any Other Name Would Be Just as Crazy"
A few weeks ago, My Crazed Roommate suggested that I change the name of my blog, as he felt it was somewhat indicative of certain issues I've struggled with in years past that don't seem so damn relevent. And I've thought about it and thought about it and thought about it, and have decided to stick with it until I find something else that strikes my fancy (which may in fact be never).

Feel free to make a suggestion. Maybe a lame prize will be involved.

"It's Revolution Baby"
Speaking of suggestions...

As Kate Jeffries can tell you, every summer should be a cultural revolution. Books should be read. Movies everyone but you have seen should be watched. The coming summer is no different, and I can use your help. Any suggested literature or cinema you can think of would be appreciated.

"Let's Go Fly a Kite"
If you were to ask me what the best day of my life was (a rarer question than you'd think), I generally think of the May Day afternoon at St. Bernadette's Elementary School. For some reason I can't remember now, the whole school went out to the playground for the whole afternoon. They told us to bring fun crap to play with, and I remember borrowing my sister's kite and getting it stuck into the tree.

I was in fifth grade at the time... kind of on the fringes of when kite-flying is considered a social acceptable activity... kind of like watching Power Rangers (this was about the time that I realized that I, unlike most of my peers, really was in no rush to be seen as an adult anytime soon). I remember that a couple of third graders helped me get the kite up in the air, and we got that kite all the way out to the end of the string. I was concerned -- in a way that only a child can be concerned -- that an airplane might hit it because it seemed it was so high up.

It was a great feeling.

Shortly thereafter, however, some idiot with another kite showed up, wrecklessly threw his plastic piece of shit into the air, crossed our lines, and took us down.

I have never gotten a kite that high since. I tried once in high school, but I didn't have enough string, and an attempt I made my freshman year in college was frustrated due to the fact that my roommate Justin refused to walk the one-thirty-secondth of a mile to the quad to help me out. Instead, he helped me pitch a kite attached to 510 feet of string into a tree behind the dorm. Despite this, he has still retained his status as "The Best Friend I've Ever Had" (if Jeffries could just let go of this Guffman thing, then maybe).

All this to say: I want to fly a kite.

"April is the Coolest Month"
I just remembered spring ain't so bad:
1) I look good in shorts. Calves of steel and ashy ass knees are sexy as all get out.
2) Sometimes a stiff breeze makes the white leaves of dogwood trees fall like snow.
3) I always have girl problems in spring.
4) Restlessness is the sign of a someone who hasn't given up on their dreams yet.
5) One day I might be the type of person who lays out in the sun and has a good time on the quad with my friends.
6) There's a certain freedom in poverty. It helps you simplify things.
7) It's all coming to an end... and endings are what make beginnings worth it.

Maybe I'll go fly a kite...

Comments

Popular Posts