Watching the wide world riot and hiding out...
- Foo Fighters, "Next Year"

"Pilot"
They said to stop looking so hard. They said to learn to like myself. They said it would happen sometime after.

People aren't always wrong.

"The World of Possibility"
You ever walk into a situation you think is doomed hoping someone else will see a way out that you don't? It seems like I've been in a dozen of those... or maybe just the same one over and over.

And then something changed.

I owe My Crazed Roommate a debt he'll never really understand.

"Just Friends"
Are you one of those people who reads the blogs of your friends hoping against hope that they'll mention you in some way? I know I am, and I also know that Kate Jeffries is!

So I've decided to make a running tally of how many times I mention Kate on my blog. I bet I can make it to 200 by the end of the year.

"Pretty Girls and Waffles"
In the three years I've been here at Mizzou, there's still one big important thing I haven't done:

Had a waffle at Mark Twain Market.

I've got, like, two weeks left. Someone remind me to do that before I leave.

"Better Days"
Life has been unusually good for the last few days. I keep telling people in the dorm that I'm pretty sure I'm going to get hit by a bus. They always say the same thing: "You're probably safe in the building."

"Home is Where the Ducks Are"
The old Scenes from the Next Page Count indicator has been stuck at 684 for like a month now. I am determined to get back on track! If I don't break the 700 page mark by tomorrow, I will burn my entire Joe Kelly box!

"Something Old, Something New"
I was hit by the old wave of insecurity and fear yesterday. You know, that strange hyper concern that I'm going to say something odd and people are going to jump up and say "That was a very odd thing to say. I don't like you anymore. You suck. Come on. Let's leave this odd guy alone to wallow in his misery."

And then it hit me: If it hasn't happened by now, I'm probably going to be fine. And more importantly, if it does happen, what the hell do I need these people for anyway?

I'll still have Jeffries.

"The Whole Truth"
Never mind.

"Your Life is Now"
There's nothing quite like that mad dash to the end of the school year to really put things into perspective.

No matter what happens over the summer, I'm happy now.

"Losing Streak"
I was shot and killed on Monday morning at the front desk while reading "World's Funnest" and talking to Will Honley about Kevin Smith.

I no longer have to fear opening the door or getting drawn into complicated and involved kidnapping schemes or anything else that has to do with water guns.

It's been very liberating.

"Opposites Distract"
It's occurred to me once more that I'm a fairly conflicted person. The introvert who demands to be the center of attention. The cruel bastard whom everyone thinks is a nice guy.

"Hook, Line and Sinker"
I went fishing once.

"The Music Box"
The desk CD player has destroyed some of my favorite albums. Sometimes, the damn thing inexplicably cuts deep furrows into a CD, and for some reason, it seems to focus on taking out Track 5. And I noticed a few years ago that Track 5 tends to be my favorite track of most CDs.

Let's stop for a moment to consider some of the great Track 5's we've seen:

OK Computer's "Let Down," Rocking the Suburbs' "Fred Jones, Part 2," A.M.'s "Pick Up the Change," Music for the Morning After's "Lose You," Parachute's "Yellow," Scrubs' "Good Life"...

I could go on and on.

"Valentine's Day"
It's been a long time.

Yikes.

Just yikes.

But I will take this time to tell Joanna Carter that I forgive her for standing me up last year... even if it was for Jon Sessions.

"Loyalties"
I have a horrible habit of falling into ruts. I am such a slave to format. Which is why I'm forcing myself to come up with another 7 entries, whether I've got something to talk about or not.

"Live Deliberately"
You have no idea how much I wish I could spend this summer living in the woods and living off the fat of the land (probably not that much considering I really hate bugs).

But no. I've got to make some money.

That's probably be a lot easier if I had a job of some sort... but where does a man with my unique talents go for gainful employment? I'm not sure that the Chick-Fil-A is hiring in KC. I'm also not sure that Chick-Fil-A is the type of place I think it is. You meet chicks there, right? And you maybe fill them with something. Is that right? No. Damn.

"Exceptions"
A couple of weeks ago during Friends, Joey was talking about how he used to feel about Rachel, and Jeffries (20) said that guys never really say stuff like that.

I really wanted to be all "That's not true, I do, check this shit, I'm the freaking exception to the rule, I be so cool, I ain't no fool," but now that I've had more time to think about it than I really should, I've got to say, I'm not the sensitive young nebbish nubian who expresses his feelings that I've always thought I was. I'm just another emotionally dead numbnut. I just don't have the musclehead machismo that almost makes up for it.

"The Test"
Um... I guess I've got a Latin test next Thursday. I'm not really that concerned about it.

"Windows of Opportunity"
I've always been one to see such things long after they're closed.

"Mind Over Matter"
Less thinking. More doing.

Oh yeah. That's a great idea.

"Mixed Signals"
Not even gonna get into it. Seriously. I'm done.

"Prom Night"
Danielle was lovely. Mini-golf at the after-party was awesome.

Remind me to never do this again.
Ever.

Comments

Popular Posts