Gotta get up into the city... Feel the rain through my suit. Gotta get to where I can wash this sadness out of my heart before it washes me out of my own skin... I've lost her -- Maybe not for good, but definitely for now.
- Paul Jenkins, "A Death in the Family"

"A Simple Declaration"
Five months ago, senior year wasn't going to be this bad.
I need a new crowd. Seriously, Jeffries. Let's go to Morocco.

"Confessions of a Non-Hipster Doofus"
Yesterday, I actually overslept for my eleven o'clock class. It's official. I'm a doofus. And not even a hipster doofus.

"Farewell Deanna"
Apparantly, my ex-wife is engaged. Good for her.

"Why Clark Can't"
1) I think I'd disappoint.
2) It wouldn't be professional.
3) Brent thinks it's a good idea.
4) My apartment's a mess.
5) Out of my Justice League of America.
6) The comic references sure don't help.
7) Don't want to. (Well, maybe a little.)

"Waiting for October"
Two years ago, I'm working the quintessential Sunday night desk shift when Brent walks in babbling nonsense about how the next day was going to be the first day of October, and how great October was going to be and on and on. And the weird thing is, I started to believe him, and Mr. Jones and me ended up sitting around waiting for October with this strange sense of anticipation...

And it sucked. Hard. This was the same month that contained The Terrible Night of the Post-it Note and saw the publication of Joe Kelly's last issue of Superboy. (It doesn't take much to let me down back then.)

Last October First -- and how great a turn of phrase is that? -- I went on my first date in college, and from that night on, my life collapsed into a downward spiral that resulted in the worst semester it has ever been my horror to experience.

My point is, historically, October has been chockfull of atrocities... but it's still my favorite month. Why? Because there's that one week when all the leaves have changed but haven't yet fallen off, and there's that tree over by Parker Hall that glows crimson around sunset and it's the most beautiful thing in the world.

That and I get to wear sweaters again. I look damn good in a sweater.

I want a cookie...

Comments

Popular Posts