"I'll see you sometime, then," he said, and turned back towards home. He wondered what she would say to the others, but was sure that she would not say much. When he had walked a certain length, he sat down in the shadows of the cliff and looked out at the sea. He did not think that he would see her for a long time. He was unsure if she did not wish to see him because of the hanging, or if there was some other reason why she did not want him.
- Colm Toibin, The Heather Blazing

"The Man in the Plexiglass Prison"
Seriously, it's like I'm beating my fists bloody against the walls, begging anyone to let me out, but you all are like "Why would we do that? We can see and hear you. That's more than enough."

"I Don't Want to Wait..."
The Dawson came to my capstone class yesterday, and somewhere between bashing The Land of Spices and admitting to attempted draft dodging, managed to soothe my fears about post-graduate life.

God bless The Dawson.

"Unlucky at Ladies, Lucky at Cards"
I rediscovered hearts on my computer, and resumed my age old game with Justin, Danielle, and the Beast, before I changed the names and decided to let the damn thing precipitate an nervous breakdown.

Oh, and I beat Kate in the World Championship Gin Tournament. And she said that if I'm not married at 60, she'll marry me, no matter what. Sorry, Lucky Hank. Dem's the brakes.

"Hair Today, Hair Forever!"
I've got to be the only man in Columbia who walks into a barbershop and people look at and say "What do you want?" like I'm some kind of fucking oddity or something. Isn't it obvious? I want a haircut? Why does anyone go to a barbershop -- assuming it's not a front for drugdealing? For a goddamn haircut! And yet, I walk into this barbershop, and the guy looks at me and says "What do you want?" And I never know what to say for a moment, because I feel like they're looking for some answer other than the obvious, but in the end, I always say, "Um, a haircut?" And then he finds some reason not to give me a haircut. I walk into this place thinking Money is exchanged for goods and services. This man offers his services for money. I have money. I'm willing to give it to him in exchange for his services. I'm sure I'm getting a hair cut today. And I'm always wrong because there's some strange system in place that isn't quite capitalism and I don't understand it because I grew up in the suburbs.

"Hell is Other People"
I have this terrible fear that I've done something horribly wrong. But my dad always said that fear is the mind killer. (Actually, he stole that from Frank Herbert's Dune. We Clarks are incurable quoters.) And Christopher Priest says "I don't pretend to be a biblical scholar. I just ramble on here, sharing little pellets of wisdom from my exegetical Pez dispenser. But, in one man's opinion, there will be a lot of rotten scoundrels in heaven. There will be a lot of atheists in heaven (likely denying they're there). And there will be a lot of really nice, really great, really wonderful, decent and moral people in hell. To me, the whole issue of destination has less to do with morality than it does with a simple awareness of and fellowship with the Divine God."

I forget my point, but then again, it's very likely I'm on the wrong track...

It's been a bad day, please don't -- Oh! I get it now!!!

Comments

Popular Posts