I have no choice. And... there's nothing but choices. No one knows what the hell they're doing... but we do it anyway. I fell in love with you in September '02. I know that's shallow, but... whatever.
- Joe Kelly, Enginehead: "Fourth Gear"

Interlude: Kelly's Anti-Heroes
It's been a good day for comics, and sometimes that's the best you can expect from a Wednesday. I wish this weren't the case sometimes, but it's true.

I've been thinking a lot lately, and I think I've made a big decision: I'm definitely starting Prowler #1 with a flashback to Hobie's last night in the costume. I think it'll be the throughline for the first six issues. In every issue, we spend two or three pages examining the events of that night and why it's left Our Poor Man Brown in the funk we've found him in. The first six issues are more of a character arc than a straight up storyline, and I think the flashback's will do a nice job of tying them together for the inevitable Prowler Volume One: "On the Prowl" trade paperback release two weeks before issue 7 ships. (I wish I could call that an inside joke, but it's just a vague commentary on Marvel's reprint policies only Prewitt would "get". But that's okay, because I'm telling you, nobody reads blogs anymore.) Plus, hopefully the flashbacks in costume will make up for the fact that Hobie never wears the full costume in any of the present-day scenes -- with the exception of what I hope will be considered "the hilarious scene at the kids birthday party."

Now I've just got to figure out what happened on The Terrible Night Eighteen Months Ago When Hobie Last Wore His Costume. It's got to be something pretty traumatic, and yet not too cliche... and I think Rocket Racer needs to be there. And it's very possible that a little girl has to die.

And I need to understand how one goes about collecting unemployment checks. (No, not for me. For him.)

...

I'm wearing sweatpants right now if that means anything to you.

NEXT:
Vol. 2

Comments

Popular Posts