Ma...? I was thinking that maybe Metropolis isn't for me. I'm gonna try something else... And can you wire me some money? And maybe some clothes? Don't tell Pa.
- Joe Kelly, "A Hero's Journey"

"Kicking and Screaming"
There's this movie by the guy who co-wrote The Life Aquatic about this group of recent college graduates who all end up hanging out in their college town for about a semester because they have no idea what they're gonna do out in the real world. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, but I've been meaning to watch it for the last few months because I realized I'm kind of living it...

I also realized that I've spent almost my entire adult life trying to avoid New York City.

I could have gone to NYU, but I didn't, and I always say it's because I got a letter from the English Department saying that they were going to focus on Walt Whitman and I hate Walt Whitman (which is true), but I tell myself I didn't go because it was cheaper (read "relatively free") to go to MU and I wanted to avoid having to take out any student loans, but in my heart of hearts, I know that I didn't want to go because I didn't want to go that far away from home and I wanted to hang out with my high school friends in Columbia and I'm scared of New York.

I'm not brave like Kate Jeffries.

I could have at least tried for a summer internship at any of the many publishing houses or magazines in the Big Apple -- like, say, Marvel Comics -- but I never did, and I could have skipped out on this town as early as June, but I haven't, and I'm only leaving now because my family has pretty much set everything up for me. And I'm kind of worried that if it'd been left up entirely to me, I'd spend the rest of my life working at Forum 8 for peanuts and popcorn.

I'm scared.

There's this Superman comic where Clark Kent arrives in Metropolis and gets ripped off within three minutes of touching down in the city, and he gets so freaked out he ends up running off to Paris. And as stupid as this is going to sound, everytime I think about that scene, I think to myself If that could happen to Superman, what hope in hell do I have?

That statement alone should show you just how truly clueless I am.

Comments

Popular Posts