Sometimes I think I'm gonna lose my mind
But it don't look like I ever do
I've loved so many people everywhere I went
Some too much, and others not enough

Well I don't know
I may go
Down or up or anywhere
But I feel
Like this scribbling might stay

Maybe if I hadn't seen so much hard feelings
I might not could've felt other people's
So when you think of me, if and when you do
Just say, "Well, another man's done gone"

Well, another man's done gone

- Woody Guthrie

"Leaving Columbia"
I'm on my way elsewhere now, but I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on my life in the tiny Hamlet of Columbia, Missouri.

I've never really felt like I fit in anywhere -- like I was a square peg trying to wedge myself into a round hole, but of all the places I've lived, Columbia was the best fit I've seen so far. This place was a rectangularly hole.

I regret some of the things I did in my time there, but not as much as I regret the things I didn't do. Is that funny or is that just life?

I keep telling myself I'll be back soon to visit, but then I think of all the people who've left and haven't come back yet, and I wonder why I think I'll be any different. Life has a tendency to move forward. It doesn't always give you that chance to take a step back, even if you really want to.

So I'll see you when I see you, CoMo A-Go-Go. Take care of the poor stupid bastards I left behind, even after I've just become a vague brown blur in your collective memory.

I'll still be here. I hope I'll always be here -- wherever that here might be, say, in your hearts or at this particular blogspot. Please, don't forget to write.

You know I won't.

NEXT:
Garden State

Comments

Popular Posts