i am the passenger and i ride and i ride
i ride through the city's backsides
i see the stars come out of the sky
yeah, the bright and hollow sky
you know it looks so good tonight

- Iggy Pop, "Passenger"

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the District"
I just got back from our nation's capital. I would have gotten back sooner, but Kate had to go and make it snow all over the place.

During my stay, I saw the Washington Monument and stood before Lincoln, where I fully planned to curse out the so-called Great Emancipator until I saw all the signs pleading for "quiet" and "respect." I also cruised the Vietnam War memorial in search of valorously discarded Congressional Medals of Honor -- though the commemorative statue really does convey that whole motherfucker... they remembered vibe I've read so much about -- and stood at the crossroads of 18th and Potomac. I read Global Frequency Volume One while the students of George Wahington University languished in lines to buy textbooks for the new semester. I visited Slough and Orange County through the wonders of TV on DVD, and was surprised to find that Kate really doesn't seem all that out of context in her un-gaudy apartment complex, though I was indeed a stranger with her door key explaining that I am just visiting.

I didn't find the time to visit the National Cathedral so I could give the alleged Creator of All That Is or Ever Shall Be a piece of my mind in the culmination of three semesters worth of Latin studies, but that's probably for the best. I have my doubts as to whether or not I would have been permitted to stub out a cigarette on that hallowed ground.

Besides, there's always next time.

Comments

Popular Posts