She packed by bag last night, preflight
Zero hour, nine a.m.
And I'm gonna be high
As a kite by then

I miss the earth so much
I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Ah, no no no...
I'm a rocket man
Rocket man
Burnin' out his fuse
Up here alone

Mars ain't the kind of place
To raise your kids
In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did

And all this science
I don't understand
It's just my job
Five days a week
A Rocket Man
Rocket Man

And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Ah, no no no...

- Elton John, "Rocket Man"

"An Open Letter to My FIG Kids"
Dear Fig Kids,

I realize that I've done a spectacularly shitty job of keeping in touch with you. I just want you to know that it's not because I don't care.

I met you guys at a particularly strange time in my life. I made myself your FIG leader ostensibly because I thought I had a lot to teach you, but let's face it, you guys taught me a lot of stuff I needed to know. You guys took an odd stretch and made it something normal that I could deal with.

So here I am at another particularly strange time in my life, and I wish you guys were here to make it something I could understand. And as it stands now, I really don't want to write you until I have something worth writing about. I'll leave my long and rambling missives about this wintry job climate to the people who didn't meet me when I was building intelligence networks, thank you very much.

To borrow a line from someone talented enough to put these things succinctly, I always send my best, because God knows you've seen my worst...

Take care of yourselves,
Clark

"An Open Letter to Karl Bloom"
Dear Karl,

Seriously, how'd you even find out about this blog? I've got to say, your infrequent comments tend to throw me off a bit. My worlds are colliding here, Gloom-and-Doom-and-Gloom-and-Bloom.

That being said, things being as odd as they are, it's always nice to hear from old friends and old foes, and you're one of two people on this planet who somehow manage to qualify as both at the same time -- as opposed to say, the twenty or thirty people on Uranus who pull off that particular feat with their eyes closed.

Anyway, hope you're doing well.

Sincerely,
Lenar

"An Open Letter to the Angel of Extra-human Abilities"
Dear Angel,

A couple of months ago, I wrote an entry about what type of super power I'd want, and after eschewing the obvious answers like super-strength and telepathy, I settled on spider-sense for some reason. I didn't really mean it. I just wanted to sound hip and cool -- so of course, having no true understanding of how to be either, I talked about super powers.

I really would want to be able to fly. Because if I could fly I could go back to Missouri for a few hours or so and read my comic books and see my friends. I'd really like to see the remnants of Academic Hall again... but really, maybe all I really want is the ability to travel back in time. I don't even have to be able to change things. I'd just like to live in a few moments again...

Like Our Town, you know? Just let me get one last look at those people I'll never see again... I never took pictures...

Moments like these, I always come back to that sleepy afternoon in A & S, when Speer Morgan told me that what young people don't understand is that there are things that are great and wonderful that simply exist in the past... that you can't go back to... I didn't say anything then, because I tried not to say too much in class, but I almost wish I asked him why. Not because I think he had an answer... Just because...

"An Open Letter to All You Shutterbugs"
If anyone has a good picture of me that they could send by way of e-mail, it'd really help me out. Honestly, it doesn't even have to be that good a picture.

"An Open Letter to No One Who Will Read It"
Hope you're doing well. Don't ask me why. Couldn't tell you if I wanted to...

Yes. I've been drinking. What of it?

NEXT:
Lois.

Comments

Popular Posts