"Laissez les bontemps rouler." Please. For us. For all of us...
Laissez les bontemps rouler.

- Alan Moore, "Return of the Good Gumbo"

"Let the Good Times Roll"
Though deranged and oftimes untrustworthy, My Crazed Former Roommate surely knows what's what when not fed misinformation. Example: The other day, I was asking him if it seemed like American popular culture seemed to have a hard-on for Japan these days, what with Lost in Translation, Kill Bill, and The Last Samurai (and my off-again on-again obsession with FLCL), and without missing a beat he said, "Yeah! It's like Australia back in the 80's!" and I said, "That's what I was thinking!"

It's not just that we were thinking the same thing, or that we would put it in the same terms that really gets to me, though. It's the fact that neither Prewitt nor myself came to this Australia-Japan analogy because of adroit analysis of pop culture, but rather due to that episode of The Simpsons were America's favorite animated family goes off to the Outback to wreak havoc on their eco-system.

So my point is, I've got to respect My Crazed Former Roommate. He told me the other day that my last few blog entries kind of depressed him, so instead of writing an entry entitled "Erin" that I'm sure would have moved him (and you if you're reading this and fortunate enough not to be Prewitt -- and that's not so much a dig against him as much as an acknowledgement that some of his memories from last year with me may indeed haunt him to the grave) to tears, I thought I'd try to lift his spirits -- or more likely depress him in a whole new way -- with a little Deranged Bitmap Drama:














And now you know why I'll never be allowed to write Spider-Man.

I will, however, take this opportunity to announce the long-delayed release of an all new Little Black Duck Tale (no, not Scenes from the Next, because there's no way I'm finishing that one this year), Along Came a Spider, featuring the debut of the Spectacular Stick-Figure Spider-Man (unless you count those drawing's I did on dry erase boards the month Spider-Man hit theaters like a Mack truck or my commissioned art piece on Kate's lunch thermos). It's a quirky little story with all your old favorite characters (except Dildo the Drunken Monkey) and a couple of new ones. The good news: It's not as gross (read "unfunny") as the comic you just read. The bad news: Humberto Ramos refused to answer my phonecalls, so the art's not nearly as good as "Hot Action Comics". But it sports a spanking sweet cover by none other than C. S. Prewitt, Esq. that's so delightful, it makes me mourn the loss of Marvel's open-door policy on unsolicited submissions all the more.

Okay. I'm done geeking out. Don't worry. I'll get back to whining and bemoaning real quick.

NEXT:
Erin.


...

Naw. I'm kidding. Maybe I'll tell an anecdote about how I'm thinking about stalking the cute girl at the admissions office, though.

As days go by, we're gonna fill our house with happiness.

Comments

Popular Posts