Anyway, it's been a hell of a week. (Hell of a week...) Hell of a year!! Hell of a year is what it's been... almost a year to the day when Matt Murdock took control of "The Kitchen".
- Brian Michael Bendis, "The King of Hell's Kitchen"

"Hell of a Year"
All the craziest shit happens in April. All of it. Sweet and sour -- not that it's easy to tell one from the other these days. Not in the least.

I feel like I've spent the last twelve months doing the wrong things for the right reasons and vice versa. I've mentioned that I can't tell my left from my right anymore, but it's gotten to the point in which I can barely tell which way is up...

Hell of a year. Let's leave it at that for now.

"I Don't Grant Your Premise"
You know that episode of Seinfeld with Kenny Roger's Roasters? The one with the hilarious bit where Jerry and Kramer swap apartments, and George explains that when it comes to women, he's like a jingle because if he manages to hang around long enough, he starts to grow on you and you can't get him out of his head?

You know... Co-stanza!

On a number of occasions, My Crazed Former Roommate has stated that I'm like George in this regard. He says I work myself into the brain and drive people a little crazy.

I loved that episode, but now everytime it comes on, I get this creepy feeling, which I don't think is fair, because I'm pretty sure Prewitt's just talking out of his ass here.

With a few exceptions -- like Rob, Hank, and Terp -- my roommates have always enjoyed coming up with these little theories. Prew-Prew's got the Costanza thing and a handful of others... Brent Jones, Part Two's come up with a cycle he feels I go through related to the crushes I've developed on women that he hasn't worked out completely, but keeps planning to. And as for My Beloved Tin-Tin, let's just say this son of a child psychologist would analyze my day-to-day happenstance with a sick sort of glee.

I'm not a case study, I'm just a head case.

"All This Crazy"
In screenwriting class, we talk about inciting incidents a lot. A lot.

The inciting incident is the event that disrupts the stable life of the protagonist, propelling him through a quest to regain some semblence of stasis, ultimately driving him to the obligatory scene (the third act climax) in which he faces his moment of greatest choice, revealing the meaning of the story, as well as either re-establishing his stasis or creating some new one.

After some reflection, it's occured to me that if there's an inciting incident propelling the action of "Once and For All," it's been my decision not to attend that cocktail party. That was the Door to Death in the Baby Dave Winter Special, so to speak, and God help me, for good or ill, it don't seem to be closing.


I tell you... If I knew the way, I'd go back home.

Comments

Popular Posts