Forever. I'm going to be stuck like this forever. I've been through a million levels of despair, but none like this. There's nothing I can do. I'll never walk again. I can't... I never... Never. Give. Up.
- Paul Jenkins, "Never Forever"

"Losers Never Quit"
I always find myself lost between struggling to change the few things I can and accepting the many things that are just beyond my control, because I simply don't have the wisdom to tell the difference.

Here I sit, convinced that there's something I can say or do to turn this all arond, but at the end of the day, there's nothing I can do. I live in Chinatown. There's no escape from Chinatown. (When did I become obsessed with Chinatown?)

I can't stand losing, but I can't stop losing either.

"He's Never Gone!"
Somebody said something once to me that's been nagging at the back of my mind for about six weeks now, and on this day of all days, I can no longer keep mum:

Groundhog Day is not juvenile. Is the premise fanciful? No doubt. But at the heart of the film, the character goes through an arc. In a single day that stretches across a thousand lifetimes, a selfish man comes to terms with his limitations, and learns to change. I think that's about the most adult thing you can do ever.

As opposed to, say, a film in which a mental patient follows his whiney freaking therapist and his family to a cabin on a lake and finds sanity through the all too unlikely method of having explosives strapped to his body? Really? How grown up is that?

But I think we can all agree, the assessment of Lost in Translation as the ultimate Bill Murray movie is a bit of a stretch... Or maybe I just mean that no one can publicly disagree with my poo-pooing of this assessment, seeing as how my comments are wickedly verkakked.

"And the Banker Never Wears a Mack in the Pouring Rain, Very Strange"
Haps to the birthday, Kate.

"Neverwhere"
A couple of observations from this weekend:

The people you want to be with always seem to leave too early, even if they don't take off until it's way past their bedtime.

The people you really wish you hadn't invited over always stay way past the brief window of their welcome.

And the people who really ought to know better never let you go.

"Nevermind"
I was going to tell you about this great bit in the latest "Twisted Toyfare Theater" with Electro and Mysterio, but then I just threw my hands up and screamed, "Aw, what's the point?!" which really surprised the one other person in the computer lab.

Now that I think about it, I think that little anecdote sums things up rather perfectly for me these days. After all, there's really nothing I can do.

It's going to be cold, it's going to be grey, and it's going to last you the rest of your life.

Comments

Popular Posts