Now I know it's either them or me, so I'll bury every clue...
- Jon Brion

"Main Title"
Ben Folds' "Wandering" is my "Desperado"? How about Lost in Transition or The World Forgetting, by the World Forgot?

No? You're right. I don't like them either.

Untitled March 27th Blog Entry with Brion-Inspired Title Structure it is then.

"Theme"
Do you think "In life, there are great and wonderful things that cannot be captured again" has been rehashed too much at this point? What about "The price of authentic individuality is a certain sense of solitude"?

I don't want to get preachy or moralistic. I'm hardly the type of person who should give lessons on life to anybody.

Perhaps a minimalist theme would be best. Something simple. Like "Life is sad sometimes and funny, too." I'm too young to be too terribly profound or original. It's best to just be true.

"Strings That Tie To You"
I'd really like to keep the vague commentary meant for specific people to a minimum today. I've been told they're kind of childish. Maybe just one entry.

"Collecting Things"
I should buy less crap. All I've got is a bunch of crap I'm going to think I have to take with me wherever I go for the rest of my life. Like that stack of comic book boxes in the corner. When's the last time I read Team X 2000 #1? When am I ever going to read Team X 2000 #1 again? I'm not. And yet I'm going to haul that and The Howard the Duck Holiday Special and Secret Origins of Super-Villains around the country until I find some way to sell it off in bulk or give it away.

Crap, crap, crap.

"Spotless Mind"
Don't be stupid. Of course you shouldn't. At the end of the day, all we are is what we remember. Most of us learn something from every person we meet. The idea is that we change people and people change us. Not necessarily for the better, but all change is good. Actually, I guess "good" applies a moralistic designation where one really isn't relevant. Perhaps it's more apropos to say that change is natural or that change is constant. Change is the simplest reality of life. Nothing lasts that can't adapt. Fighting the current is for salmon and idiots. That's why we call people who don't acknowledge the simplest principles of evolution "backwards."

(On an unrelated note, my use of the word "apropos" has reminded me of the time Doleys used it in Poli. Sci. class, and I later claimed "Swear to God, the man said 'a-pro-poss' and I thought to myself, This man has a doctorate?" Of course, I only remember that because Jeffries has it on tape somewhere. I guess I'd lose that too, wouldn't I?)

Look at me. Preaching. And making with the inside-jokes. I have no self-discipline. Happy birthday.

"Elephant Parade"
It seems that wherever I go, I bring with me a great succession of pachydermatous creatures which take up residence in whatever room I may be occupying at the time, and a great deal of effort is expended by myself and everyone else in the dwelling not to discuss the undeniable existence of these immense beasts.

"Phone Call"
I have returned to Columbia. In the week in which I've been gone, no one left any messages. I find myself struggling to accept that for as long as I live, I will never know what the one person who called had wanted or why.

"Peer Pressure"
Brent Jones, Part II does not think I would make a good mayor. He also doesn't think that I will ever run a production company. He's probably right, but why does he have to lay it out like that? I try not to crush his crazy dreams... kind of...

...

Okay. He's probably well in his right, all things considered.

"Row"
If life is but a dream, does that make it less substantial, or more so? Isn't it the perfect metaphor, either way? Sometimes you remember your dreams and sometimes you don't, but you always dream, just like you're always living, but some moments you're more aware of this fact than at others. And you've got people divided on the issue of whether or not dreams have meaning.

And dreams end, too.

NEXT:
"The Death of the Little Black Duck"

Comments

Popular Posts