And I realize that atmosphere he carries with him isn't electricity. It's sadness. Worse than mine. And I realize I feel sorry for him.
- Paul Jenkins, Spectacular Spider-Man #14

"The Electric Company"
As I've stated, for the last few weeks things have been pretty ass-wacky, and I was kind of excited about that for a while, but now I'm starting to worry and wonder...

What if this is my life now? What if things never go back to normal? What if I always end up staying when I want to go and leaving when I want to stay? What if the rest of my days seem like some strange dream where nothing has any substance? What if I never get to guess what's going to happen next?

What if my life has always been like this, but I'm only just now catching on?

"Haps to the Birthday, Prew-Prew Boo-Boo"
Yesterday, after a few hours of watching me play Brent's Batman game on the GameCube, My Crazed Roommate suddenly shouted "That's it! I can't stay in this house anymore! I can't watch this TV! I've got to get out!"

I'd heard about this kind of thing before. Cabin Fever... Going Stir Crazy... I'd been aware of the strange notion that one could get tired of hiding in their apartment for weeks on end, but I'd never actually seen it happen before.

We ended up going out for a bit of a walk then off to the movies, but that odd outburst stuck with me. That was the moment I realized that my current roommate is the complete and utter antithesis of everything my previous roommate believed in.

"My Secret Identity"
Everybody tweaks the truth, right? It's not just me pretending not to see people and feigning disinterest and just generally playing dumb, is it? We're all just putting each other on, aren't we? And what does it say about me that I'd really rather believe that there's simply no way to know the truth in this world of lies than to admit that I'm just a freakin' fabulist who needs to stop?

Wait. Here she comes...

Comments

Popular Posts